Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Jude Law Fest 2004

The past few months have been good ones for Jude Law. He has released a couple hundred movies, and, this past weekend, I was lucky enough to see two of them.
Jeff and I snuck in to see "Alfie" back in November, and, I have to say, I would have enjoyed watching just as much on mute. It was OK (Jude Law in a towel wasn't a bad thing, for sure), but highly predictable and highly disgusting to watch so many women with low self-esteem swoon over Alfie the Playa'.
However, on Saturday, Jude redeemed himself. Jeff and I caught a 7:15 showing of "I Heart Huckabees". While Jude's attempt at an American accent was laced with hints of England, the movie itself was absolutely excellent...funny, quirky, and original. Lily Tomlin was hilarious, Dustin Hoffman was brilliant, and Jude Law was, well, I'll just say it, Jude Law was hot. His acting was good, too. This movie was probably the best I've seen this year. We're sure we're going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. We highly recommend it.
Because I was on a Jude Law binge, I decided to go and see "Closer", even though Julia Roberts usually annoys me. I have to say that Natalie Portman out-acted every one else in this movie a thousand times over (Jude Law included...it pains me to admit it, but, hey, it's the truth). While this movie provided two hours of Sunday afternoon entertainment, can you say severe Potty Mouth?! I've never heard the F-Bomb dropped so much in all my life...and I work with criminals. While there was enough swearing to go around, I have to say that it worked for the movie. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the characters and be ashamed of them at the same time. "Closer" illustrated the elaborate and blurry boundaries of the human relationship. The film was alright, but was no match for "I Heart Huckabees".
So, thus concludes the Jude Law Fest 2004 movie review. Remember, this is NOT my day job...obviously. If you want to see a phenomenal film, try and catch "I Heart Huckabees" before it's gone from the theatres. If you want to play a new drinking game in which you take a shot every time Julia or Natalie drop the F-Bomb, see "Closer" (make sure you stock up on the booze and start early...it'll be a long night). If you want to see a cute Brit in nothing but a towel, rent "Alfie" and watch it on mute. You can bet I'm gonna.
Peace from the Midwest (where it's very cold and, clearly, there is nothing productive to do), D

No comments: